Saturday, October 2, 2010

Fables

Sometime ago, the class was introduced to the fable genre. According to Wikipedia.org, A fable is a succinct story, in prose or verse, that features animals, mythical creatures, plants, inanimate objects, or forces of nature which are anthropomorphized (given human qualities), and that illustrates a moral lesson (a "moral"), which may at the end be expressed explicitly in a pithy maxim.
I can’t remember my first fable that was read to me but I am sure it was during my pre-school days. I remember my late grandfather buying my this Aesop’s Fable Collection book that I use to carry around all day. To me, using fables in teaching English is a fantastic idea especially when teaching low-English proficiency students. This is because there are many fables written in simple English. With the help of pictures and an entertaining story, students could easily grasp the meaning of words. It is also a good teaching tool in inculcate moral values.
We were given the opportunity to create our own fable as well. It was a fun activity. Perhaps I shall use this activity during my practical to see how things turn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment