Saturday, October 2, 2010

Lean On Me


The movie “Lean on me” is s a 1989 biographical-drama film written by Michael Schiffer, directed by John G. Avildsen and starring Morgan Freeman. Lean on Me is loosely based on the story of Joe Louis Clark, a real life inner city high school principal in Paterson, New Jersey, whose school is at risk of being taken over by the New Jersey state government unless students improve their test scores. This film's title refers to the 1972 Bill Withers song of the same name.
To me, this is a very entertaining movie. However, don’t take my word for it as I am a fan of Morgan Freeman. This movie has taught me a few things though. It taught me that having too much authority is not always a good thing. By believing that an authoritarian leadership would do the school good, things went bad for Principal Joe Louise. Example, his colleague were not fond of him and there are people who would go to great lengths to get him out of the school.
This movie also taught me that to believe in your students capabilities to do well, it would do wonders to change the children’s mindset and furthermore, gain their respect. In my opinion, by gaining your students’ trust and respect is the most important tool for a teacher to have an enjoyable and fruitful teaching life.

No comments:

Post a Comment